It’s the third week of the One Room Challenge™ I am participating in to transform my boys’ shared bedroom in just six weeks! I cannot believe we are already halfway through the challenge! For my week one post, I shared my Vintage Modern Boys Bedroom Inspiration with you. Last week I shared the bedding we chose, along with some other Vintage Modern Bedding inspiration. Today, I am sharing a fun project I did this week, a DIY Felt Pennant Flag using my Silhouette machine! The best part is, I have included a free SVG cut file for you to make your own!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details.
DIY Felt Pennant Flag Tutorial
– Blank Felt Pennant Flag (I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $2.99
– 80% Rayon, 20% Wool Blend Felt Sheet (This is a must! You cannot use craft store felt with the Silhouette, it does not cut well. National Nonwovens is the brand I used you can buy sheets on Etsy, through Praire Point Junction, or limited colors at Joann Fabrics.)
– Silhouette Fabric Blade (optional)
– Cutting Mat (I bought this 3-pack on Amazon and marked one mat specifically for fabric/felt cutting use.)
– Ruler or Measuring Tape
– Electric Iron (no water!)
- Take your felt sheet (mine is 12″x18″), measure and cut the length to 12″ so that your sheet measures 12″x12″.
- Next, take your wonder under and cut a piece that is slightly smaller than 12″x12″.
- Following the instructions for the Wonder-Under, iron the Wonder-Under onto your felt sheet using a dry iron.
- Allow your sheet to cool, then remove the paper backing from the Wonder-Under and place it on your cutting mat with the Wonder-Under side down. Smooth out any air bubbles.
- Next, adjust your fabric blade depth to 10 using the adjustment tool that came with your blade, or the one that is inset on the machine.
- In Silhouette Studio, open your SVG or DXF (if you do not have the Designer Edition software) design file. In your page setup, select your Cameo 12×12 inch cutting mat.
- I have found the design cuts best when oriented vertically. You can move your design wherever you want it to cut on your felt, but make sure to keep it inset at least a 1/2″ from the edges for the best cutting results.
- Click the “Send” tab and adjust the following settings: ratchet blade to 10, speed to 2, force to 33.
- Then, make sure that “cut” is selected and that the red cut lines appear around the design.
- Double check that all your settings are correct, then click “send” to begin cutting!
- Once your design has been cut, unload your cutting mat and remove the excess felt from the mat. Weed out the design. If the design did not cut all the way through in a few places, use a scissor to cut it out the rest of the way.
- Remove your letters from the mat and lay them out on the pennant. Once you have them spaced the way you want them, follow the directions on the Wonder-Under to iron them on to your pennant. (I like to use the paper that we peeled off the back of the Wonder-Under as a protective sheet between the iron and the felt while ironing.)
- Finally, just hang and enjoy!
Download your FREE Explore Pennant SVG by clicking on the banner below! We will also be adding additional pennant flag SVGs to our Etsy shop SOON!
**Download link will be available immediately after subscription confirmation, please check your inbox for an email. If you are already a subscriber you must also enter your information to receive the download email. Don’t worry, you will not receive duplicates of our newsletters!
*Please Note: All printables and downloads designed by Gather and Flourish are for PERSONAL USE ONLY. Please do not alter the file or claim it as your own. This file is not intended for resale, nor are the printed versions of this file.
Next week I will share an updated sneak peek of the boys’ room and give you more details on what our plans are for finishing out the transformation!